The medical profession generally believes if you don't sleep well it interferes with normal brain function.
The University of Hong Kong investigated the sleep quality of Hong Kong's workforce. Comprehensive data show that most respondents failed to achieve their ideal sleep duration. Insufficient sleep can give rise to negative emotions and thoughts, poor creativity and concentration. The culmination of which has been known to contribute to serious traffic and industrial accidents.
Field studies have shown that lack of sleep affects our overall physiology. Losing an hour of sleep per night can affect about five hundred genes in the body; especially those related to inflammation and diabetes!
To support quality sleep:
- Develop a regular sleep schedule.
- Participate in physical exercise.
- Relax and be of clear mind.
- Limit caffeine/nicotine and avoid big meals at night.
- At sleep time make sure the room is dark.
- Choose the right mattress to suit your sleeping position, mattress features eg. pocket spring, memory foam helps correct posture, improve blood flow circulation and maintain optimal sleep temperature.
Adequate sleep enhances the bodies immunity and improves our health and well-being.